Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Thanksgiving Day Thought-

Years ago, my family was friends with a medicine man. He wore a chain around his wrist, held shut by a padlock- a small one, who's key he had thrown away.

"Only when I die will this be removed, because that will be the only time I'm really free." he would say.

Laws in the states are really messed up when it comes to indigenous people here. We gave them the worst land, and pathetic deals, and they're one of the few groups of people who are met with racism that is overwhelmingly acceptable.

He hated Thanksgiving, I happen to love it. I feel it's the only national holiday where people come together, for a meal, for no other reason than to enjoy each other. No presents, asides from food, no shopping... it's about being thankful, and sharing that thanks with those you love and care for.

That said- the way Memorial Day is great for BBQs, one should always remember, and give a moment of thanks and respect to those who gave their lives in service of our country- Thanksgiving... I think it's also a day where yes, we should enjoy and be thankful for what we have- it's a day we should also stop, and give a prayer, or take a moment of reflection, on how we came to have this country, and to pray/meditate/moment of respect for the people who are still struggling because of it.

By all means, enjoy the day- I fully intend to, it is my favorite holiday of the year... but I think today should also be a day of rememberence and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment