Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Living with a Blind Dog-

I've learned, as I've been going, 3 VERY important "commands" for a blind dog to learn. "Wrong Way", "Behind You", and "Keep Going"- With those- Keller can now trot to me without slamming into anything when he hears "Keep Going" he knows it's straight and clear.

Also- "You Found Me!!!" with lots of pets, to him, is the best reinforcement he can get... Also, a key phrase...

Also in his list of commands-
"Tree", anything in his way he is allowed to pee on.

"Easy", "Watch out", and "Careful" means something's in his way he can't pee on.

"Stairs" means - well there's stairs, either up or down.

"Small Step" is a curb, or something of equal height.

"You can scratch"- I walk him with Asha, who is very very short. Before I taught him that he'd sometime kick stuff in her face, which I will not have.

"Stay" which is strict. It means to stay exactly how I leave him, in the exact position- be it sit or down. The release word for "stay" is "You're Through!"

"Wait" is less strict of "Stay", which is to stay in the spot, but if he sits, or lays down in the middle of it, I won't say anything. The release word for "Wait" is "Let's Go!"

He knows "Get Out" means "Get out of whatever room you're in", he is also brilliant for figuring out room boundries, so long as there's a door frame, or at the very least an obvious change in flooring. (Say from a rug to a hardwood floor)

"Leave it" is to leave anything he may want to overly investigate, be it chicken in the street he wants in his mouth, or to shove his nose up poor Asha's bum...

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?" said firmly, and very fast- is when he's actively doing something bad- like opening my bottom cabinets, trying to break into my oven, trying to climb over the dog gate... The one thing that drives me crazy about Keller is his total unwillingness to accept boundries. It doesn't matter how hard the blockade- he is determined to get over, or under it- and if he falls and gets a little hurt doing it, (like before I knew he did that and he climbed over my dog gate at the top of my stairs), it won't stop him from doing it again. (No dog gate at the top of the stairs is far safer for him!)

That is also part of what I absolutely love about him, I find that aspect of his personality just as awe inspiring as I do frustrating. I have to be VERY inventive of the barriers I build to keep him out of areas- to keep him out of the kitchen, I have to have a large wood plank across the entry- a large dog crate in front of that, and a large cat tree holding it all in place infront of that!

A very very handy one is "Go lay down". When I say that, there are 2 main acceptable spots for him to lay down on. His doggy bed, and the cot I have in the livingroom, which is also for the dogs really, though, as long as he moves away and lays down, it's acceptable- if he takes his time to lay on something comfy, it's ok with the "Go Lay Down" command. Point is for him to go away from being under my legs, and be someplace safer. When he's right behind me, or trying to follow me around- when I have to turn, even though he tries to get out of my way, sometimes he ends up in front of where I'm trying to get out of HIS way, and is met with a knee.

I didn't want that- and it took some time, but the "Go lay down" saves both of us a ton of headaches.

There are things that became commands simply because I automatically said it without thinking- consistantly... but I've found these simple- well, they really are cues more than "commands" really- has helped him be able to fully explore the world- without smashing his face into fire hydrants and such...

It takes a little more effort- but I'm so very lucky to have this guy in my life. If he's taught me anything, it's to never let anything limit you...

No comments:

Post a Comment